Lake Washington School District remains committed to ensuring the continuation of high quality services for all students, including our students in need of highly capable services.
Washington state recently passed new laws governing highly capable programs. New legislation will require all districts in Washington to update their language and processes around eligibility to meet these mandates. Our department has always worked closely with OSPI to align its practices to mandates and guidance from the state.
Some links on our website will be unavailable as our department revises its processes to ensure compliancy to the new laws. Our community will be notified once our website is up and active, closer to the beginning of the school year.
Applications for highly capable testing are now closed. We thank all families for considering our programs.
Welcome to Accelerated Programs!
Our Highly Capable/Quest programs offer accelerated and enhanced instructional opportunities to students who have been identified as highly capable. Our programs are designed to meet the needs of our highly capable learners by providing services and instruction beyond the scope of the general education classroom.
A highly capable learner is defined by the state of Washington as a “student who has been assessed to have superior intellectual ability as demonstrated by one or more…multiple criteria.” Our Program uses both cognitive and academic performance data to determine a student’s highly capable eligibility.
We are proud to offer programs and services which are designed to meet the needs of our highly capable learners through:
- Enrichment and extension of academic and intellectual skill;
- Stimulation of intellectual curiosity, independence and responsibility;
- Acceleration and enrichment of content to meet student learning needs; and
- Development of advanced critical thinking, communication and collaboration skills through the lens of local and global citizenship
As you explore our website, you will encounter these terms:
- Accelerated Programs - The name of our entire department. This includes all of the programs and services from grades K-12 including Quest and Advanced Placement (AP).
- Highly Capable (HiCap) - Washington state's official term for any student receiving services for gifted education.
- Quest - Specific category of programs within Accelerated Programs in which students receive services. Quest programs are: Full Time Quest (FTQ), Pull Out Quest (POQ), Middle School Quest (MSQ), and K-5 HiCap (K5HC).
Interested in learning more about the programs? Please watch the video below by our Accelerated Programs team for more information.